Monday, June 13, 2011

Smartness=Kindness?

The smartest girl in the class, Sharon, is also the kindest. She waits for her pencil to be sharpened, makes sure each kid gets a plate for lunch, is nice to everybody else, etc. I wonder if that's a frequent pattern with young ones: does intelligence manifest itself through kindness? Or, maybe at such a young age, does kindness manifest itself through intelligence? Or maybe it's a random correlation?
***
Whenever I make a sound or hand gesture, one particular kid, Paul, is usually the first one to imitate it. Then everybody imitates his imitation. Paul also happens to be very friendly and outgoing. Is it possible to discern leadership at such a young age? I feel like a parent who over analyzes their child, clinging to the smallest data point as evidence of future behavior. Except my emotions aren't involved, so maybe I see things more clearly, or less clearly? My gut tells me Paul will lead something---a sports team, a cause, a group, etc. But who knows, right?
***
Attention, attention, attention. Making the preschoolers happy can always, in one way or another, be reduced to giving them attention. I don't have to touch them or talk to them, as long as my eyes are glued to them, they'll smile. Doing cartwheels is a case in point. Once they see me watching them, their eyes light up; they do them so much more passionately.

No comments:

Post a Comment